Shaky voice and trouble in talking. What could this be?

I have a very shaky voice and some people have told me that I sound like I'm crying when I speak. I have trouble getting words out too and this is all very embarrassing. People sometimes don't listen to me at all because I am difficult to understand
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ENt specialist, exclude laryngeal cyst or tumor, i

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is very important that you get a good examination by an ENt specialist. It is very important to exclude cyst of the voice box (larynx) or a tumor or the voice box. These are the two main common conditions that could give rise to the symptoms you are experiencing.

An examination to see the larynx, called a laryngoscopy and a fibroscopy can be done. It is important to exclude any history of gastroesophagal reflux disease. Acid reflux with severe irritation of the voice box could also cause these symptoms.

Booking an appointment with an ENT specialist is my advice. Thanks and hope this helps. Please, feel free asking follow up questions in case you have specific concerns.

Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD