Sex with sex worker, protected sex, condom failure, herpes infection. ELISA test ?

Question
hi . i had a sex 1 hour ago with a sex worker . i dont know her past sexually history ..it was a protected sex but due to some reason,condom was broken inside and i came to know when sex was over.educate me about elisa test.when should i get tested ... and is there any cure if i get effected .. pls help ,, m scared.. m already suffering for herpes .. is there any cure for herpes
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 40 minutes later

You have an increased risk for STD's because of condom breakage. It is too earlier to test for anything. STD also require 4 days to 7 days to present as symptom.

The average period with HIV-1 antibody tests (ELISA) is 25 days.

Antigen testing cuts down the period to 16 days. NAT< Nucleic Acid Testing > further cuts down to 12 days.

Some quick tests include, Home Access Express HIV test, Ora quick test, Ora sure test, uni gold test are few tests which take 15 - 20 minutes .

Although these rapid antibody tests have high specificity, false positives do occur.

Any positive test should be confirmed by a laboratory using the Western blot.

And since you mentioned that you have herpes which is a STD if located in genitals, you are at more risk if the lesions are active and located on penis.

Post exposure prophylaxis is short term anti- retroviral treatment to reduce the likelihood of HIV infection after potential exposure, either occupationally or through sexual intercourse.

There is significant debate on the need to use PEP after sexual intercourse.

You visit your nearby physician and get tested and take post- exposure prophylaxis if necessary.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Sex with sex worker, protected sex, condom failure, herpes infection. ELISA test ? 11 hours later
Sir pls tell me which test should i go for . . And pls tell me the gud doctor in delhi to consult

Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

You can go for any one of the above mentioned tests .

You need to preliminarily go for one of the rapid tests.

Later go for confirmatory tests , since confirmatory test is western blot.

You please visit any general physician who is M.D. post M.B.B.S.

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW .

Or you can contact this doctor in Delhi.
Dr XXXXXXX Batra’s(MD Skin and veneral disease)
DERMAWORLD SKIN INSTITUTE
Q-4, RAJOURI GARDEN
(NEAR JANTA MARKET ENTRY)
NEW DELHI-0000

Visit early and do not get tensed.

Hope for the best that you will not be contracted of the disease.

Do not do such things in your future, get married and be faithful to your life partner.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Sex with sex worker, protected sex, condom failure, herpes infection. ELISA test ? 6 hours later
Hi sir,i visited to XXXXXXX batra and he sugested me test - cbccesr..is this test helpful in detecting hiv . They sd.if he find any problem in the test..he will give me pep.ispep nt necesary

Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 5 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

You can undergo the tests provided by him.

Hope you presented your history properly.

Post exposure prophylaxis, is mainly given for health care persons in cases like needle stick injury.

It can also be given for post unprotected intercourse.

But there is a debate on this issue as to whether it works in cases of unprotected sex.

Kindly discuss regarding this with Dr. XXXXXXX batra and if he concludes it to be useful,
then immediately go for it.

Let us hope for the best and be relaxed.

Hope I have answered your query.

Regards.