Sex with prostitute, vaginal sex, HIV status unknown. Tests for HIV ?

Question

> RESPECTED SIR,
>
> I HAD SEX WITH A PROSTITUTE ON 28 TH MAY,2011 NIGHT.
> SHE HAS GIVEN ME CONDOM AND ROLLED IT ON MY ERECTED PENIS,I HAD ONLY VAGINAL SEX FOR 2-3 MINUTES.
> I DONT KNOW THE HIV STATUS OF THAT GIRL,SHE WAS LOOKING HEALTHY AGE 20 YRS OR MORE,AND I HAD NOT SEEN ANY WARTS OR CUTS ON HER VAGINA DUE TO DIM LIGHT IN THE ROOM,
> AT LAST I CANT REMEMBER BUT CONDOM WAS NOT RUPTURED,AND THERE WAS NO ANY BLOOD SPOTS OVER CONDOM.WHEN I FINISHED I FOUND THE CONDOM WAS INTACT,LATER SHE HAS GIVEN ME WATER TO WASH MY HANDS,
> I DONT KNOW WHETHER VAGINAL DISCHARGE HAD OCCURED TO HER OR NOT IN 2-3 MINUTES OF SEXUAL INTERCOURSE,AS PERIOD WAS TOO SHORT,AND ONLY VAGINAL,NO ANAL AND ORAL.
> I WAS HAVING NO STD PREVIOUSLY AND HAVING NO SORES,ABRASSION NO CUTS ON PENIS.
> BUT NOW I AM FEELING SO TENSED AFTER THAT I MIGHT GET HIV.AND SO GUILTY FOR WHATI DID,IWAS OUT OF MIND,BUT NOW I THINK WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO MY FAMILY,IF I GET +
>
> LATER TO CALM ME I HAD DONE MY READY MADE KIT DETECTION-QUALPRO RAPID IMMUNOCONCENTARTION TEST, FOR HIV ANTIBODY ON 1ST XXXXXXX WHICH WAS NEGATIVE,TELLING THAT I HAD NO ANY PREVIOUS HIV RISK,
> BUT FOR THIS CASE,I KNOW THAT Ab TAKES TIME TO FORM.
> I DONT KNOW WHAT QUALITY OF CONDOM SHE HAS GIVEN,AND HOW MUCH PROTECTION IT HAS GIVEN TO MY PENIS. IS CONDOMS 100% EFFECTIVE.
> ITS 12 DAYS PASSED AND I AM SO MUCH WORRIED FOR WHAT I HAD DONE.
> IF I GOT INFECTED WHAT WILL HAPPEN. NO ANY EARLY SUCH SYMPTOMS LIKE THAT OF SORE THROAT,FEVER,AND RASHES HAS APPEARED TILL.
> BUT ITS NOT 2 WEEKS TOO.USUALLY MY BODY TEMP REMAINS 96.6-97.4 F
> I WANT TO ASK,
> HOW MUCH PROBABILITY IS THERE THAT I CAN HAVE HIV,AND I AM JUST NOW IN WINDOW PERIOD,AND WHATS THE CHANCES OF HIV TRANSMISSION IN VAGINAL SEX FROM INFECTED FEMALE TO MALE,IF CONDOM FAILS..
> WILL I DEVELOP ANY STD FURTHER.
> HOW PROTECTED I AM AND WHAT CONFIRMATORY TEST I CAN OPT SO TO KNOW THAT I AM COMPLETELY OUT OFF DANGER OF HIV, AND IN HOW MANY DAYS I CAN GO FOR THAT,HERE ONLY AB KITS ARE AVAILABLE,MOSTLY FOR IgG DETECTION NOT FOR IgM. WHATS THE AVERAGE TIME SO THAT IF ANY SUCH INFECTION HAD OCCURRED.IT WILL TEST Ab POSITIVE,
> I NEED TO KNOW
> PLEASE HELP ME

TEST I OPTED TILL DATE-

I HAD DONE MY TEST FOR
HIV KIT TEST(ON 1ST JUNE) - COMES NEGATIVE
ELSIA FOR HIV1/2(ON 11TH DAY-08/06)- COMES NEGATIVE
P24 ANTIGEN TEST ON 16TH DAY(12/06)- COMES NEGATIVE
GIVEN PCR TEST TODAY ON 20/06 -RESULT AWAITING
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later
Thanks for posting the query.

You seem to be well aware of the antibody tests of HIV and about the window period. The window period for the antibody test to be positive is around 3 months.

If the HIV antibody test is negative at 3 months, then HIV is virtually ruled out as ELISA is a very sensitive test to pick up even very small amount of antibodies.

A PCR test (Polymerase Chain Reaction test) can detect the genetic material of HIV rather than the antibodies to the virus, and so can identify HIV in the blood within two to three weeks of infection.

PCR is also a very sensitive test just like the ELISA test and if it is negative, then HIV is ruled out. It makes sense to wait for the PCR test result.

The P24 antigen test is similar to the PCR test. However, P24 is produced in can be detected in the blood during the early part of the infection and gradually as HIV becomes fully established in the body it fades to undetectable levels.

As you had used a condom during the sexual intercourse and there was no damage to the condom, this significantly reduces the risk of transmission of not only HIV but also other sexually transmitted diseases.

Your possibility of catching the HIV infection is further reduced as there was no exchange of blood or secretions during the sexual intercourse. I sincerely believe you are not HIV infected.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: Sex with prostitute, vaginal sex, HIV status unknown. Tests for HIV ? 10 hours later
Sir,
as for apprehension. i had done my all possible tests for HIV.
the Kit test on 1st Day after Exposure and Solid Phase ELISA on 11 th day shows negative titer ,shows that there is no any previous infection.
i had given my P24 ag test on 15 th day,and it has come as non reactive,according to you is How much it reliable to tell that i am completely HIV negative,as P24 is negative on 15th Day,
is P24 becomes detectable in 15th Day,if any infection had occurred
Now aalmost 24 days had passed,and i had developed no any symptoms like that of cough,fever,rashes ,lymphadenopathy etc.
For more i had given quantitative PCR test yesterday,on 23 rd day,which result will come after 5 days...
i was so tensed before P24 results,but it has come negative.is there any need to repeat it after 6th week.
or i have to wait for 3 months for Ab detection..
what do you think that i am going to be infected with HIV.
according to you how much chances is for that,
if PCR comes negative,will it be final result to tell its completely HIV negative or further testing is required.is there possibility for false positive in PCR.
please help me.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later

Thanks for getting back to me.

The P24 antigen test has been done fairly early and it rules out the possibility of HIV. The concentration of the P24 antigen tends to decrease a bit only months after the onset of infection.

However, let the PCR report also come. The possibility of the PCR being falsely negative is almost not there.

I don’t think you’ll need any further tests if the PCR test comes out as negative. As you don’t have any symptoms as yet and you had a protected sexual intercourse, the possibility of you getting infected with HIV is negligible.

You need to take off all the apprehensions from your mind once the PCR also comes out as negative. Then, you don’t suppose to do the antibody test at 3 months.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Sex with prostitute, vaginal sex, HIV status unknown. Tests for HIV ? 47 hours later
thanks for your advice.
i am waiting for PCR results ,hope it comes negative..
but actually i have gone through medicine books,where i found that P24 starts rising in 2 weeks,if so infection had occurred.but in the chart in XXXXXXX it has been given that it maximum titer can be found in 6 wks,after which it starts falling down,
i had done my p24 on 16 days almost after last mentioned circumstances.what do you think is it confirmatory to say that no infection has occurred.
as to reduce my apprehension i had opted for PCR after p24 has come non reactive,so that i cant wait long,Sir you can understand..
Need Your Advice regarding previoud all negative results especially on p24 .and just waiting for PCR results
thanks

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 hours later
Thanks for the query,

I have already mentioned in the previous mail that the possibility of HIV seems quite less likely as you have done the P24 antigen fairly early and it is negative.

However, PCR coming as negative should further be the last nail in the coffin of your fear. Please be assured that you haven't got HIV.

Please do let me know the PCR report. I am fairly confident that it'll be negative. I sincerely hope that helps.