Sex, condom failure, foul odor, discharge. History of BV, allergies to latex. Can I get STDs?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hi doc.! can u get an std if your having sex and the condom comes down a bit but not off all the way? after two days iam now starting to have an odor and discharge thats an off white smell like i have been passing gas all day. oh yeah i use to get a bv after having sex with my ex husband all the time when we was married, do u think it could just be bv? iam allergic 2latex
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 27 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query.

STDs are transmitted through contact with body secretions of the partner and since the condom wasn't totally pulled off during intercourse it is less likely that you are infected.

If you have a history of recurrent bacterial vaginosis, then this is a more likely possibility.

You have also mentioned about latex allergy but if there is a bad odorous discharge and no itching or redness, it isn’t possibly allergic.

I would advise you to consult your doctor if you notice any pus or blood tinged discharge, or experience any local or abdominal pain, or develop fever or burning urination.

As of now, you should maintain your hygiene and could possibly use topical application cream or pessary as per your doctor’s advice. If symptoms persist for more than a week, then do seek consultation to confirm the diagnosis by examination and tests like vaginal swab or urine routine microscopy.

I hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Sex, condom failure, foul odor, discharge. History of BV, allergies to latex. Can I get STDs? 28 minutes later
i also have had had trichamouas before and the smell is similar so thats why i thought it was an std. so if its an recurrent bv can i treat this myself... or atleast get this smell to go away?, or do i have to see my doc?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 52 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

In that case do visit a doctor for confirming the diagnosis.

Please do not self medicate. Also get some blood tests like complete blood count and blood sugar to rule out Anemia or Diabetes which can predispose to recurrent infections.

Its not a must but just because you mentioned about getting frequent infections.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Sex, condom failure, foul odor, discharge. History of BV, allergies to latex. Can I get STDs? 20 minutes later
thank you so much... iam going to take your advice on following up with my doc...thanks again bye.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 11 minutes later

It was my pleasure to be of any help.

Thanks for having faith in me.