Ask a Dentist   »  

Severe tooth and nerve problem, giddiness. Prescribed oxytol. What should be done?

My mother 75 years old. she is suffering from severe tooth problem. But Dentist identified as Nerve problem and suggested to consult neurologist. doctor prescribed OXYTOL medicines. But she is afraid to take the medicine because she feels giddiniess and unable to walk. but the doctor insist to continue and in due course that peoblem will not be there. Please advise. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing some information and recommendations for you here.

The Oxytol is a medication that targets nerve pain. It generally will take some time to work but should have an impact within a week or two. I would suggest you enourage her to give this medication a trial.

It may take a bit of time for her body to adjust to the medication in her system and I understand her hesitation to take the medication due to concern regarding side effects.

I think at this point it is worth a try to see if this will help.

If for some reason the medication does not help I would suggest she see an oral and maxillofacial specialist for further recommendations.

Thanks again for the query. I hope this serves to be an informative experience for you. I remain available if you have additional concerns as well.

Dr. Galamaga