Severe sore throat, dry cough, full nose. Tylenol and Tramadol not effective. Visit a doctor?

Severe sore throat, dry cough, full nose X 1 week. Tylenol and Tramadol not effective for throat pain. Do I need to go to doctor or hospital? Feeling increasingly worse by te minute.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 39 minutes later

First of all thanks for sharing the information.

Yes, I think you need to visit a doctor. You are a nurse and you know that most of the viral infection lie this should be fine in 2-3 days.

1 week is quite a time. You need proper examination by a physician for this.

From the symptoms, there are chances that you are having some upper respiratory infection, most probably a sinus infection or throat infection.

You might a course of antibiotics for this.

In mean time please do following which should help.

>Take steam inhalation.
>Drink plenty of fluids, hot ones are better
>Take light diet
>Take proper rest. Do not go on duty, as infection might worsen and you can spread it also.
>You can even try gargles for throat pain.

Do visit a doctor.

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Follow-up: Severe sore throat, dry cough, full nose. Tylenol and Tramadol not effective. Visit a doctor? 3 minutes later
I am actually feeling really sick and there are no urgent cares open at this time. Would it be foolish to go to the ER?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 9 minutes later

Good to hear from you again so soon.

It depends upon your problem. You are a nurse so I think you; your self is better judge.

If you are having too much of discomfort going to ER is justified.

In case you have difficulty in breathing due to blocked nose, high fever, extreme throat pain, I think visit to ER is a preferred option.

Still if you want to give it a try,

Take analgesic at present
Take steam as advised
Do gargle

In case of no relief the verdict is clear.