Severe sore throat and mono rash. Taking ibuprofen, cefprozil, lydocaine, aleve, benadryl, nyquil. Is mono rash the cause?

my son has mono....diagnosed a week ago today. He's had a very severe sore throat (which was to be expected). He's been taking Ibuprophen, Cefprozil, and lydocaine viscous.......Yesterday he took Aleve, benedryl (to help swallow the lydocaine). Last night I gave him 2 doses of Nyquil (6 hours apart) and today he woke up with a pretty severe rash (and his face may possibly be a little swollen). He feels quite a bit better (still very weak) but the rash and slightly poofy face is worrying me. Should I be worried about a reaction (possibly to the nyquil)?

I paged the doctor on call.....and he said it was probably not related to the nyquil but that mono causes a rash. Should I discontinue Nyquil (and should I be concerned)? My son is 16.
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 2 hours later
Thank you for writing in,
I understand your concern.
The rash you are describing is because of Mono and not because of Nyquil.
About 5% of patients of Mono have a splotchy red rash over the body which resemble the rash of measles.
In the early course of the disease there may temporary swelling of both upper eyelids.
No need to worry about that.
Both rash and swelling will come down in a few days.
Just give him plenty of fluids, fruits.
A sufficient amount of sleep and rest is important.
Sore throat will be severe in first 5-6 days, it will subside over next 1 week.
For fever you can give him acetaminophen tablet.
Tiredness and fatigue will take months to completely vanish.
Its recommended to avoid him from taking part in any sport for one month.
Hope I've cleared your query.
If you have any doubt,you can contact me here:
WWW.WWWW.WW I'll be happy to help you.Feedback will be appreciated.
Wishing you and your son good health