Severe shoulder pain. Taking ibuprofen. MRI not needed. Physiotherapy suggested. Reason?

Hi, I have a question regarding my shoulder.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: Severe shoulder pain. Taking ibuprofen. MRI not needed. Physiotherapy suggested. Reason? 4 minutes later
I've went to the doctor, and she did a couple tested on my shoulder. she said i don't need an MRI. she told me to start working on the shoulder. I'm still have some discomfort in my shoulder. what could this be?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 7 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

Shoulder pain can be due to minor muscle strains, repetitive use injuries, and repeated overhead motions, such as pitching a baseball game. A common traumatic cause of shoulder pain is a tear of the rotator cuff, the muscles and tendons that hold the arm bone (humerus) in place in the shoulder joint.

kindly explain the symptoms in detail, as you have been examined by a doctor and she said it is fine, it might be muscle spasm, that will be fine in a day or two.

Physiotherapy might be helpful, You may also consider taking Tablet. Ibuprofen 400mg twice daily after breakfast and after dinner for 3 days.

Hope I have answered all your questions. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Severe shoulder pain. Taking ibuprofen. MRI not needed. Physiotherapy suggested. Reason? 9 hours later
Thank you for your response.
The pain often starts when I use the shoulder, like picking up things, or just normal uses of the shoulder. This started about 6 weeks ago, while lifting weights. The pain is a 3 sometimes 4 out of ten, in the rate of the pain. It tends to start in shoulder, and sometimes through my tricep, this pain can feel almost like a burring pain, sometimes. Like I said I passed my test from my doctor, I can lift my arm up, down, side to side, without pain. An I have been taking ipreprophen, for a while.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 14 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for writing back.

The symptoms as you have mentioned, appears to be due to muscle spasm.

You have mentioned you are taking Ibuprofen, try applying gel i.e. Volini (Diclofenac) gel and you may also consider taking a muscle relaxant. Hot fermentation will be helpful, so will be physiotherapy.

Hope my suggestions will help you.

Wish you good health.