Severe pain under the rib cage after hysterectomy and lower bowel surgery. Complication chances?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hello, I had a total hysterectomy and some lower bowel surgery last Thurs. 12/29th/ Other than the normal aches and pains on Sunday night I had severe pain up under my right rib cage, then it even woke me up while sleeping. since than the pain is on my left side under my rib cage. It's not getting better, I thought it was gas perhaps but it hasn't moved at all in 2 1/2 days. What could it be?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later

The area under the lower rib cage has the diaphragm which is a muscle separating the chest and abdominal compartments. There are other organs like a portion of the gut and its covering mesentery (peritoneum), the pancreas, liver on the right and stomach and spleen on the left.

The pain arising after intra-abdominal surgeries could most likely be due to the fluid collection or serous inflammation and healing process in the abdominal cavity which might irritate the organs, peritoneum or diaphragm. Such a pain should gradually decrease or subside once the inflammation subsides, say about in a week or so after its onset.

The pain might be localized if there is a local fluid or blood collection or infection. In that case it might persist or worsen and warrants further investigations.

The best way to confirm the diagnosis is to consult the treating surgeon for a thorough clinical examination and if needed an ultrasound abdomen and blood tests like blood counts, bleeding profile, liver profile, etc.

So kindly discuss it with your doctor and do the needful.