Severe pain in the back and leg. MRI showing mass in kidney, lumbar spine curvature and hemangioma. Anything to be worried?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had an mri of my back done due to severe pain in back and right leg and these are my results. 1.7x2.0cm increased T2 signal mass within the right mid kidney anteriorly medially is incompletely charachterezed on this study. Coronal image demonstrates slight curvature of the lumbar spine, convex to the right. Vertebral body height maintained. Small, 5-6 mm focus of increased t1 and t2 signal within the left L5 vertebral body most consistent with a small intraosseious hamangioma. I don't understand what all this means. Please help.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Your MRI(Magnetic resonance imaging) report is suggestive of a small mass in the middle of right kidney whose nature could not be ascertained.
The lumbar spine is showing a slight curvature to the right- usually acquired due to a wrong posture which might be responsible for your back pain.
A small hemangioma- a vascular malformation has been noticed in the body of fifth lumbar vertebra. It is a benign vascular malformation and is not significant clinically.
Your MRI is not suggestive of any major spinal abnormality. The small mass in kidney might be a benign renal cyst. Further investigations like ultrasound scan may help in determining the nature of the lesion.
The back pain you are having can be helped by adequate analgesics with muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside under the guidance of your orthopedician.
You can follow these measures till you consult your orthopedician:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.