Severe neuropathy. Taking cymbalta, neurontin and neuropathy support formula. Unable to use hands and legs. What can be causing the symptoms?

I am a 48 year old male who is suffering from severe neuropathy. I've had this for 8 months following a fall. Is there any treatment for this? I am already taking Cymbalta, Neurontin and a supplement called Neuropathy Support Formula, but I get no relief at all from these medicines. I had been playing guitar for 30 years prior to this but now I cannot play at all because of the pain in my hands. I also cannot walk without a walker because I cannot feel my legs and feet touching the ground. I do not have diabities. Is there anything you know of that is causing my symptoms?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I understand your concern.
There are several causes of neuropathy and the exact cause can be determined after a proper examination and appropriate investigations.
It is only after we decide the cause, that the treatment can be determined.
There are 3 broad causes of neuropathy. They include:
a.     Trauma: I think this was a significant risk factor in your case. In this regard, I would like to know more about the details of your fall, like what happened, if there were any fractures or other injuries, what was the treatment instituted and any other details that you might think are relevant.
b.     Systemic diseases like diabetes ( which I believe has been ruled out in your case), renal disorders, hormonal imbalances, Infections and other autoimmune disorders.
I think it would be appropriate for you to consult a neurologist and get yourself completely evaluated. If a cause can be determined, we can start appropriate therapy.
Awaiting your reply
Wishing you the very best