Severe leg pain after fall, red rash around ankle. What can this be, advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband has returned from a skiing trip and had a fall which has caused him severe pain in his leg. He had it checked and all was fine. However, he no has developed a red rind rash around his ankle. What could this be?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 28 minutes later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Is there any swelling around the site of impact of trauma and around the ankles ?

Has an X-ray been taken to the injured leg ? Has fracture or sprain been ruled out ?

Could you kindly describe the red rash in more detail ? Any itching around the rash ? Was the rash present before the trauma ?

If the rash has developed after the trauma it could be a mild contusion due to the trauma, which is usually associated with swelling of the tissue. It would take a week or so to clear. If any damage to the ankle, better to get the ankle wrapped up or taped for proper splinting and immobilization as advised medically.

Other causes of red rash could be allergy, insect bites which can be associated with itching as well. To make a right diagnosis, a Dermatologist's opinion is necessary.

A thorough evaluation is imperative in order to monitor his healing progress and to make right diagnosis and decide further steps in management.

Kindly follow the advice of his Doctor and give good rest to affected regions.

Kindly do respond to above queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.