Severe joint pains, depression. Taking insulin for diabetes. Suggestions?

my mother is a diabetec patient. her age is 60. presently she is affected with severe joint pains since one year. she cannot walk properly on her own.sometimes she goes into depression. although she is getting the depression medication from cip ranchi. also she is getting the medication of diabetes. daily she is taking insulin injection before lunch and dinner (twice daily). we are not getting the improvement. we are planning to get the treatment from cmc vellore.what u suggest?please guide
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 19 minutes later
Thanks for the query XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Looks like your mother is suffering from arthritis and most likely rheumatoid arthritis, and her age also quite fits to this diagnosis. She needs a work up in that respect which includes x-ray and also some blood tests like C - reactive protein, Anti nuclear antibodies (ANA), and routine like CBC (Complete blood count) etc.

You can go to CMC vellore, which is one of the premium centers for all diseases but if you want specialist care in this respect then you can XXXXXXX a rheumatologist. One such rheumatologist is Dr. XXXXXXX in Bangalore working in chan re hospital. He is one of the few handful rheumatologists in our country.

You can also do the following things:
- Apply warmth to the joints with hot bags
- Give ample rest to the joints
- Physiotherapy
- Avoid cold climate and always keep her warm, cold will aggravate the pain.

If there is anything else I can assist you with please let me know. Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Severe joint pains, depression. Taking insulin for diabetes. Suggestions? 23 hours later
since mother is suffering with diabetes. is not this can be due to high diabetes. may be diabetes will be decreased all problem will be solved.what do you say?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 minutes later

Thanks for writing back

The joint pain is not related to the uncontrolled diabetes. Bringing the sugar values to normal levels will not solve the joint problem issue.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please press the accept button if you do not have any other queries. If there is anything else please write back to me.