Severe headache when there is change in daily schedule. Reason?

whenever there is some change in my daily schedule work or there is any hectic day I go through severe headache on one side only that too gets away only when i sleep for 9-10 hrs in night. So what it can be?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 59 minutes later
Thank you for posting your question here.
Give the current symptoms, you could be suffering from either a tension headache or a migraine, although the diagnosis goes more in favor of the former. Tension headaches usually build up slowly and cause a tight band like feeling around the whole head. This is in contrast to migraine which typically causes a one sided headache.
I would suggest the following:
a.      Practise XXXXXXX breathing when you feel tension or anxiety.
b.     Take some time to yourself for quiet meditation and reflection.
c.      If you can, identify things in your life or at work that are stressing you and see if you can change anything.
d.     Talk to people who are adding to your stress and tell them how they are hurting you.
e.     Do not be silent and bottle things up.
f.     Try and get the sleep you’re looking for.
g.     A non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug like Tablet aspirin 325 mg with food as and when needed will help. This can be taken upto a maximum of 4 times daily.

If the symptoms do not improve in a few days, please consult your treating physician who can evaluate you for migraine and start appropriate therapy.
I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have any more questions, please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Follow-up: Severe headache when there is change in daily schedule. Reason? 1 hour later
But mostly its on one side of my head only. So still it can be tension headache or will it be Migraine and it goes from upper side of the eye to backside of the eye i.e above the neck in head
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later
Hi there. Thanks for your follow up question.

As I say, my preferred diagnosis would be for tension headache. But you are correct also, this could be atypical migraine. If the measure I'm suggesting above are not working then you will need to consult a physician to get this sorted.

Here is to your good health. Thanks again.

Andrew Rynne.