Severe hair loss. Suggest solution

Hi I am suffering from severe hair loss! My hairs have become too weak and I shed around 100-150 strands a day.
Can you help me solve my hair loss?
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Combination of minoxidil,finestride & biotin helps

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query,

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) What is the pattern of hair loss ? Is it only frontal & sides of scalp or is it involving the whole scalp?
2) What is your family history of baldness ?
3) Did you have any systemic illness few months back like jaundice or typhoid ?
4) What is present status of baldness if any or is it just that you are loosing hair ?

Answer to these questions would help me understand your problem better.Even a close up picture of the scalp would help me further. So if you can send me a picture of full face with scalp showing ,I would appreciate.
You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.You can also email the same to YYYY@YYYY with “ATTN: ” in the subject line.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
With history what you have submitted ,there are two possibilities.Either you have diffuse hair loss(known as Telogen Effluvium ) or you have patterned hair loss i.e. Andogenetic Alopecia (AGA).

In AGA one looses hair especially from the front and crown of scalp.There is gradual recession of frontal hair line .Hair from the sides and back are not involved in this .I would like to share with you that in AGA, if your family members also have the same patter of hair loss (esp your father) then ,there is very high chance that you would also get the same pattern.With proper medication ,diet & life style management you can delay the process of baldness may be by few years.So AGA is familial.This depends on your genes and hormones .

While in Diffuse hair loss ,one looses hair from all sides and there is gradual thinning of hair from the entire scalp(whole scalp).

Other causes are hair loss is lack of sleep,stress,iron deficiency ,hormonal reasons ,thyroid problem ,use of chemical on scalp etc.

You can consult a dermatologist at your place to know the exact cause of hair loss,though the most common cause is AGA .

In such situations I personally prefer for my patients topical preparations like Minoxidil 5% -10%(10% is always better) applied twice daily on scalp along with tab Biotin one daily.Other hormonal medicines like fenestride (1mg) are also available if needed.
These can only be prescribed by a dermatologist after proper consultation.
Apart from this there are lasers for hair growth (FDA APPROVED) which needs to be taken for initial 2 to 3 months .
Then there is MESO-THERAPY which are tiny injections of growth factors which are directly given on the scalp for growth.

A combination of these works best.

Apart from these improve your diet with green leafy vegetables ,fresh fruits ,sprouts etc .Reduce intake of oily and foods with sugar content.

In case baldness has already set in ,then hair transplantation is the only permanent remedy .

If you can reply me with the answers and the pictures, I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.