Severe back pain, muscle pain in body, tragus's swollen, red, painful, headache

My husband is suffering from severe back pain, and now his muscles all over his whole body from head to toe hurt. Mainly calves hurt the most and muscle soreness in the arms. I noticed tonight that even his tragus's are swollen and red they are painful to touch. Can you give me some advice to what this could be. He has also been complaining about a headache
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 hours later

You should immediately give him symptomatic treatment.

You can choose one or more of the following:
1) Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg, thrice a day for one day (till the time he sees a
doctor). Do not give this if he suffers from peptic ulcer disease or kidney failure.
2) Apply Liniments / Cold packs for 10 minutes, 5 times a day at this back (make the painful area of back numb)
3) Hot tub bath or showers help

You should see a doctor as soon as possible to investigate it further.

Hope this answer helps in resolving the pain till he sees a doctor.

Follow-up: Severe back pain, muscle pain in body, tragus's swollen, red, painful, headache 25 hours later
He has also been complaining of a metalic taste in his mouth. I personally think he just might have a touch of the flu. He has had the back pain for a long time. Trust me when I say I feed him Ibuprofen a lot. He just is very adiment that something is just not right. kind of makes me worry.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later

Yes even i do think of the same, Once he recovers from the illness the metallic taste subsides on its own.
Taking Ibuprofen should be limited and usage should be justified because it also associated with many side effects.

This negative thinking can be removed by assurance and correcting the false beliefs and making him think positive.

I hope i have adequately answered your concern. I will be available for your followups.