Severe abdominal pains, low grade fever, stomach ache, nausea, cough and sore throat since treatment for strep throat. Help?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I just finished a course of antibiotics for strep throat last Monday. By Wednesday, I was vomiting, had WICKED abdominal pains and a low grade fever. The diarrhea didn't start till a few days ago, but the stomach pain has been constant (right below my belly button). I have waves of nausea that come and go. I am also experiencing significant acid reflux which sometimes causes me to vomit. Today started the cough and sore throat and again with the low grade fever. I've been seeing a PT for upper back pain for weeks to no avail. (Thought it was unrelated, but just wanted to throw that out there.) Help?? (I'm a mess!) I am 46 years old and in good health until a few weeks ago.
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in

It is very common with strep throat antibiotics to cause abdominal pain and diarrhea apart from the fact that they also cause gastritis

It would be preferable that you take a probiotic for atleast five to seven days and an antacid

If this does not help add a PPI

A thumb rule take these type of antibiotics with specific instructions from the physician as to when it should be taken, I mean relation to meals

Hope this helps
DO write back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead