Seven months pregnant and having severe cramping on right abdomen. Underlying cause?

Mar 2016

I'm seven months pregnant and having severe cramping on right side of upper abdomen.
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

First of all, occasional abdominal discomfort is a common pregnancy complaint and it is harmless in most cases.

However, we need to rule out serious problem if there is severe or persistent abdominal pain, particularly in one region.

At 7th month of gestational age, right upper abdominal cramp may be due to following reasons :

1) Early sign of preterm labor - chance is low as per clinical feature but it should be keep in mind.

2) Placental abruption - It is a life-threatening condition in which placenta separates from uterus, partially or completely before delivery of baby.

3) Preeclampsia - It may cause changes in blood vessels and can affect a number of organs like liver, kidneys, brain and the placenta. Blood pressure and urine protein should be checked in such case.

4) abdominal cramp in association with kidney infection. One urine examination - routine & culture is required.

Other less common causes are gall bladder disease and pancreatitis as a result of gallstone, indigestion problem, hepatitis or cholestasis etc.

Here, I suggest you to consult with your obstetrician at the earliest for overall health checkup and needful investigation to pinpoint the diagnosis.

In the mean time, you can take some anti-spasmodic medication like drotaverine with antacid (ranitidine etc). Drink more water, keep bowel habit regular and take adequate bed rest.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through