Serum HCG was taken. Had trouble in finding the vein. Should I be worried? Any complications?

Hi- I had my serum hcg taken yesterday, 72 hours after my first. The number only went up to 178 from 93. The phlebotomist had trouble finding the vein and asked if I was dehydrated. I've since read that that can have some affect on hcg numbers. I am 40 and this is our last try...should I prepare myself for another loss?
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat test after 48 hrs

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking on XXXXXXX

The levels of HCG which you have mentioned in your query are very low.But the levels have almost doubled up in 3 days.Your situation is little controversial.As your levels are not too high to diagnose pregnancy and not too low to reject this diagnosis. Also,very early pregnancy or ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy outside uterine cavity) can be a possibility at these levels.

Dehydration hardly affects the HCG test results and phlebotomist might be concerned because of collapsed veins only.

I will like to suggest you to repeat this test from the same lab after 48 hrs. This will clear the picture and further management will be decided.

Also, I will advise you take care of any dizziness,fainting,pain abdomen or bleeding which can be a sign of ectopic pregnancy and you should seek emergency medical services in such a situation.

Good Luck
Hope this information is helpful and informative.
If you have further queries you can directly reach out to me on the following URL:
Follow-up: Serum HCG was taken. Had trouble in finding the vein. Should I be worried? Any complications? 29 hours later
I am very early- only 4 weeks 5 days today. I had my 3rd labs drawn this morning. We terminated, for medical reasons, last February, for chondrodysplasia punctata with microcephaly. Our daughter weighed only 7 ounces at 24.5 weeks gestation. We had 2 other daughters 3.5 and 2.5, followed by all the losses...
Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 33 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait for the report

Detailed Answer:

As you said that you are Very early in your gestation, your levels of HCG might be low because of this only.But if its a healthy intrauterine pregnancy, then these levels should be doubled in 48 hrs.

Although the chances of recurrence of congenital malformation and repeated loss are there but the chances of successful and healthy pregnancy are very high(>75 %).

So, you should wait for the report and be hopeful.

Best of Luck.

Dr Deepti