Sensitive spot in throat while speaking. Could it be strained vocal cord?

hi... for the past ten days or so.. i have had this super sensitive spot in my throat just on the left only occurs when I speak in a certain tone.. it feels like a sharp cut or pull... at first i thought it was a pulled muscle from yelling at my kids ... it comes and goes... and i have had kind of a scratchy throat for about that long too.. but no real sore throat or cold..? could it be strained vocal cord? I am so cautious when I speak so not to disturb that seems as if once i have it is more prone to the cut or pull feeling... It seems to be healing one day and then the next day it happens again... that 's what makes me think its a pulled muscle rather than a sore throat..
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later
Thank you for your query.

I understand your concern and deeply empathize.

Your doubts maybe right.

Talking at a certain pitch causing pain may be a sign of an ailment of the vocal cord.
It seems that you have a vocal cord strain or a vocal cord nodule.

Avoid irritants such as smoke, alcohol, and caffeinated beverages. Overtime abuse of these substances tends to harden or tighten voice muscle tissue.

Correct breathing techniques and speech modulation lessons may reduce the strain on your voice

You may moisten your throat by sucking on lozenges, chewing on non-sugar gum, or taking salt-water gargles.

Drink plenty of fluids throughout strenuous voice activity. Sipping on warm water with honey can soothe inflamed vocal muscle tissues.

Try to talk in a soft voice instead of whispering as this puts more strain on your vocal chords than normal speech.
If the problem persists or aggravates please do consult an ENT doctor.

If you have any further queries, you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Have a nice day.
Follow-up: Sensitive spot in throat while speaking. Could it be strained vocal cord? 30 minutes later
ok... so will it heal on its own? how long does it take appx.? could it be strep throat? Thanks for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 19 minutes later

It should take a week to heal.

If it does not heal, kindly see a specialist.

Strep throat usually causes sore throat .It responds to Betadine gargle. You can try it if you have a sore throat.

Get well soon.