Sending the semen analysis. What does the findings mean?

Jul 2016

Dear Doctor...I have got my semen analysis done today...following abstinence for 3 days following are the results of analysis...quantity-1ml, color-opaque white, viscosity -normal, liquefaction- 30 mins, pH-8, fructose -positive, sperm count 38 million/ml, for the first half an hour- actively motile 40%, sluggishly motile- 30 % and non-motile- 30%; and after 2 hours- 30% are actively motile, 40% are sluggishly motile and 30 % are non-motile. Eosin stain-30%; agglutination- ++, motility grade-III; morphology- normal-97% and 3% abnormal; pus cells- 4-6/hpf and the impression given- normal semen analysis with agglutination...Kindly advice
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts and report of your semen analysis that you have posted it appears that you have that your semen analysis is normal as per WHO standards
except the fact that you have presence of pus cells which suggest infection either of seminal vesicle or prostate.

Please take antibiotics like Doxycycline twice daily for one month and repeat semen analysis after one month.

As regards sperm agglutination it has not been specifically mentioned percentage of agglutinated sperms in your report,. but with motility of 30 % of the sperms being actively motile there should not be any problem to impregnate your wife.

There are no medicines to prevent agglutination of sperms but Vit C and Vit E do reduce clumping of sperms..

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Follow-up: Sending the semen analysis. What does the findings mean? 59 minutes later
Dear Doctor...thank you for your there any specifications regarding the dosage of vit. C and E? what does the grade III motility and Agglutination ++ mean? Kindly let me know...
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Thanks for follow up.
You can take Vit.C and Vit E twice daily.
Grade III motility suggest sperm move around themselves like dancing but do not move forward.
Agglutination means sperms clump together that prevents their motility.
Thanks and Regards.
Follow-up: Sending the semen analysis. What does the findings mean? 38 minutes later
Dear doctor thanks for the reply...wouldn't the grade III motile sperms pose a risk?how about the chances of fertilization with these kind of sperms?Do you I need to take any medication to get it corrected or is that the fertilization would not be hampered with these kind of sperms? So that we can go ahead without any treatment apart from the antibiotics and supplements u have adviced...kindly advice...
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 27 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Only the active forward moving sperms are important from the point of view of effective fertilization of a female egg.
10 to 15% of active motile sperms are accepted by WHO and infertility clinics all over the world to have normal pregnancy.
Antibiotics that I have suggested earlier are to combat infection of the prostate or seminal vesicle.
Thanks and Regards.