Sciatica pain, done physiotherapy and bed rest. Now feeling back pain. What should I do?

i suffered from satic pain in the month of aug and september i took around 1 month of flat bed rest in that month as prescribed by the doctor and afterwards they prescribed to do physiotherpy exercies and i have done for 1 month and stoped doing exercies also but now from 1 week i am feeling back pain again what should i do
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later

Thanks for posting your query!

Unfortunately, there is no permanent cure for sciatica and the disease tends to recur in some individuals.

I would advise you to do the following to help relieve the back pain:
a. Avoid stress. Psychological stress has been shown to precipitate pain.
b. Avoid bending, lifting weights.
c. Try an ice pack on the affected area. An ice pack is available at the local chemist.
d. You may feel better lying on your back on a firm surface with a pillow under your knees. Another option is lying on your side with a pillow between your knees to keep your back straight.
e. Try certain stretching exercises which can help relieve the pain.
f. You could consider alternative therapies like physical therapists, osteopaths, chiropractice, relaxation techniques and acupuncture.
g. Certain anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen and other drugs like gabapentin have proven to be useful. However, these are prescription drugs and can be obtained only after you've been evaluated by your treating physician.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.