Ask a Dentist   »  

Scheduled for removal of wisdom teeth. Does the procedure really hurt?

Hi I am having 2 teeth out L6 and R7 plus my 2 bottom wisdom teeth due to decay. I am having them out under general anasthetic as I am scared to death. Does this procedure really hurt afterwards I have been told I may need stitches as my gum is covering part of the tooth
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Stitches are done to approximate the gum tissue Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your concern. As a clinical practitioner I often come across patients who are scared of dental treatment especially extraction of teeth.But believe me it is a myth,as I tell them. Please believe me, it is a simple surgical procedure that is done under local anesthesia.Only upon patients request or certain circumstances it is done under general anesthesia. While performing this procedure patient's complain of pressure and minimal or absolutely no pain.Therefore I would say please do not worry at all. Post extraction you are asked to go back home and just take the advised can even go to work .That clearly means that it is not an extensive procedure. Stitches(Sutures) are put just to approximate the two edges of the gum together.This is done for faster healing, as you require to take food and drink from mouth. Hope I have answered your query.Please let me know for further doubts in this regard. Thanks. Take care.
Follow-up: Scheduled for removal of wisdom teeth. Does the procedure really hurt? 11 minutes later
So I wont be in agony after even for wisdom teeth
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Normal body response like swelling expected. Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. yes you will not be in agony. As you would have experienced in your routine life that accidentally, you get a cut on your finger and then it heals on its own.The first day you experience mild to moderate discomfort in various forms but slowly you forget and it heals on its own.This is natural mechanism. Similarly,please keep few things in mind and discuss it with your dentist before extraction. 1.Extraction will be done under local or as you have mentioned under general anesthesia,immediately within half an hour please take a pain killer .This will give you prolonged relief for around three to four hours. 2.Bleeding will stop before leaving dental office,so no question after that,if required please wait there till your satisfied that bleeding has stopped.Then you can go back home. 3.After that when the effect of drug wears off you will experience mild to moderate swelling and heaviness on the affected side.At this time do not worry at all this is normal body can also have mild raised temperature in that area of cheek even this is can take your food and medication as per advised. 4.Take plenty of ice creams.They help reduce bleeding and soothing can also take juices but do not use straw. 5.I would say for that day,please take cold food stuff in your lunch and dinner avoid hot ,hard and spicy food that can cause fresh bleeding from raw wound. 5.Take medications as per advised .Next day evening or after 48 hours you can do very gentle and mild rinsing with warm saline so that there is no accumulated food particles in your mouth. 6.Third day you will feel much better and I hope it will be a pleasant experience for you and you can also suggest others to go for extraction (if required) without hesitation. Please remember,all these instructions will be again given by your dentist post extraction.I have discussed them with you so that you will not be apprehensive and also to be aware of the whole procedure. Wish you good health. For any further doubts please let me know. Thanks. Take care.