Scheduled for liposuction and general anesthesia. Had alcohol. Should I be worried?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am scheduled for liposuction and general anaesthesia tomorrow morning at 10:30 am. Yesterday, I overdid it and drank a little bit too much wine--and now I'm hung over. I'm trying up drink a lot of water and replenish my electrolytes, but I'm worried about the adverse effects of my carelessness during my surgery tomorrow. I have read that if any alcohol is still lingering in your system that it can enhance your anaesthesia or cause excessive bleeding. I'm really worried and anxiety stricken over this now. Will I be ok going into anaesthesia by tomorrow? It will have been 36 hours since I stopped drinking, by the time I arrive for surgery.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 20 minutes later
There is no reason to be worried if more than 24 hours have passed from drinking. This about excessive bleeding isnt right. Problematic can be when alcohol is in stomach or in digestive system and then aspiration and pneumonia can occur but in your case alcohol may be only in blood and urinary bladder. But, it isnt smart to drink close to surgery schedule. Next time be more cautious.
Wish you luck tommorow and good recovery.