Scared to ride bike. Is it some disease?

Dec 2014

In the year 2005 (When I am 16 Year Old) onwards I am big fan of Bike and Cars. I feel very happy and really enjoy to travel in car and bikes. At that time I ride bikes. If someone ask me to go out in bike or car that makes me very happy and also I ride lot of bikes at that time. But in 2012 January things changed in my life. When I and my friend were going to college in bike. My friend drive the bike and I sit in the back seat. While in the way we face an accident. I fall down the road, then the people take us on the hospital. I want to face a surgery because in my bones were broken (In face). After 1 week I left hospital and doctor suggest 1 month rest in Home.
After few months I understand that ride in Car make me fear. I shocked in that mint set. As I told, in 2005 I love to ride and drive bike. But after this I am afraid to ride in a bike. From 2012 to this day I ride only very few time in bike on a very near places with few traffic. I lost the confidence to drive a bike. And also I skip the bike rides as a Driver and a passenger. This problem affect me in Car too. When I ride car I always sit in the back seat and also I am afraid to look to the front glass, because when I look in front I feel the other vehicles will hit my car. Simply on 2012 January after accident I have fear to ride and drive in car and bike. Mainly bike. I can’t imagine to ride a bike for more than 5KM. Mainly through cities. I have no fear to travel in Bus.

On recent internet searches I can understand that it’s a diseases called Amaxophobia . ( WWW.WWWW.WW

In this century how can we live without a ride in bike and car. I have No Bike and car. I am afraid to buy a vehicle. Because I have Amaxophobia . Can I recover from this? Or this fear will follow in my life . I avoid all journeys wit friend and family due to Amaxophobia.
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Type of anxiety disorder

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

I have read your history and I can understand your problem. You are a young otherwise healthy male with no significant past history. You used to love to drive bikes and cars. You used to love to travel in cars or bikes since last 7-8 years, and then met an accident with fracture of bones of face. After that you are not able to travel on bike or car. You have developed fear to travel on front seat or to look on windshield. You can drive only in very low traffic conditions.

After reading your history I can tell you that most likely its not Amaxophobia. In amaxophobia there is intense fear to travel in car or bike, but it is present since beginning and have onset during early childhood years but you have developed symptoms only recently.

The history and your symptoms are suggesting towards the diagnosis of PTSD or sleep is also seen.

Fortunately it can be treated by both medicines and behavior therapy. Medicines like Sertaline, Escitalopram are very useful in such problems. The medicines should be taken for at least 3-6 months to get complete relief. For relief of anxiety medicines like Benzodiazepines are used. Etizolam is a good medicine with no serious side effect and is less abuse potential. If you have to face situations where avoidance of travel is not possible, then beta blockers like Propranolol can be used in SOS basis. These drugs will help to increase your confidence.

Behavior therapy include gradual exposure to situations that provoke fear or anxiety. I would advise you to make a chart of targets and then increase the target one by one. Start with watching videos of cars and bikes on computer and then watching heavy traffic on roads. After that try to sit on front seat of car with a known person (parenteral figure or close friend), then drive car in low traffic and ultimately go to heavy traffic. If you develop fear or anxiety during any step try relaxation method like yoga or breathing exercises.

Hope this helps you, if you have more questions you can ask again.

Follow-up: Scared to ride bike. Is it some disease? 1 hour later
Which are the departments in hospital i want to consult to solve my problem. -Psychiatry only or any other. How this treatment solve my fear. After successfully treatment what is in my mind while travelling in car and bikes. So it possible to recover completely from this disease.

Normally How many months need to recover completely . D you heard any case that not solve the problem completely

Last 1 year i am almost in home every day. I always ignore all programs outside. Now i am not interested to attend any function , not interested to do any thing outside the home. I love to go and attend everything, but i can't . For example if i want to attend a function nearby in my home, i feel tension, my hear beat increase. Totally an Inactive Mind. Now my life is only inside the home and XXXXXXX friends in nearby homes. Is this happen due to above mentioned disease. Can i get my life back as a normal person.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
You should consult a Psychiatrist only. It is a common problem after accidents in accident victims. If proper medicines are taken it is treatable and quick improvement in symptoms is seen.

The treatment will help to control fear and anxiety and will increase your confidence. With time you will feel better.

Normally medicines start showing effects in 4-8 weeks but maintenance treatment should continue for atleast 6 months.

You have started avoiding functions and have developed symptoms of depression only due to PTSD. The increased tension, palpitations and increased heartbeat etc are due to this fear only. Please consult a Psychiatrist and get your health and mind back to normal levels.

Wish you a good health.
Thanks, you can ask again if you have more doubts.