Scalp biopsy shows hyperplastic epidermis, inflammatory cell infiltrate in dermis. Meaning?

I have had a scalp biopsy thich comprised of two 4mm cores of skin up to 6mm deep. All processed
MICROSCOPY; vertical and horizontal sections examined and multiple levels cut. The epidermis is mildly hyperplastic. Within the dermis, there is chronic inflammatory cell infiltrate mainly around infundibula and also around superficial vessels. The infiltrate includes lymphocytes, plasma cells and macrophages. There is associated perifollicular fibrosis. A PAS stain shos no fungal elements. Conclusion: Scalp The appearance favour folliculitis decalvans. Could you please expain what this all means in plain english - the specialist did not do so, and no treatment has been prescribed, and I have now a small lump on the back of the scalp with some bleeding now and again?
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Folliculitis decalvans is chronic inflammatory alopecia. In this condition there is swelling on scalp with localised hair loss. This swelling spread from centre to periphery and leaves scar at centre.
Everything mentioned in reports is just finding of biopsy. There are different types 9f cells which are present. Pathologist makes diagnosis on combination of such cells and reaction produced by these cells like fibrosis. Details of which are quite difficult to understand stand for new person.
Small lump at back of scalp may be due to biopsy induced small haematoma. You need to visit again your physician for examination of this swelling. There is newer modalities to treat this condition. You need to consult board certified and well experienced dermatologist for this.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.