Rusty yellowish stool with epigastric pain. No gallbladder stones. Suggestions?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
have had rusty yellow stools for the past 4 months. Just had gallbladder scan and came back no gallstones. I also feel lousy most of the time. Sometimes I epigastric pain. Can't seem to get an answer, sure hope you can help no I do not drink the pain can last for up to 5 hrs then completely goes away. My hida scan 2yrs ago was at 80%
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
A rusty yellow stools with an epigastric pain could be due to stomach ulcers, intestinal parasites or an inflammatory bowel disease. The rust color of the stools is suggestive of an upper GI tract mild bleeding.
You need to get it evaluated from a gastroenterologist. He may do investigations like colonoscopy , upper GI endoscopy, stool culture , and barium studies to find out the actual cause.
The treatment will then depend on the cause.
Meanwhile you can do some lifestyle changes to control these symptoms:
1. Change and develop good dietary habits including eating several small meals daily.
2. Diet should include fresh fruits, fiber XXXXXXX foods. Avoid spicy foods, fats and fried foods. Also avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, colas, and smoking. Avoid processed foods (Junk foods from refined carbohydrates). Eat freshly cooked food from whole grains.
3. Adopt proper posture.
4. Don't eat for at least three hours before you go to bed. If you have symptoms at night, try raising the head of your bed six to ten inches.
5. Maintain adequate hydration.
6. Adopting a sitting upright posture for 1 hr post meals will help in relieving the symptoms.
7. Avoid foods to which you are intolerant.
8. Start walking and reduce stress. You can also practice meditation techniques.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.