Running nose,tingling in right nostril,sinus problems.

ENT Specialist
All year round I suffer all day from my nose running only on the right side. The mucus is clear and very little comes out when I blow my nose. For over a year I have been experiencing very uncomfortable tingling in my right nostril. When I look in the mirror I can see my skin jumping. Yesterday I took Allegra 24 hour formula for allergies. No relief. My doctor says nothing can be done about sinus problems.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

Your perennial rhinitis on the right side not responding to allergra definitely requires detailed examination, endoscopy and tests on this clear fluid to exclude :
1. CSF (Cerebro Spinal Fluid). If your nasal discharge can be collected in a sterile container in sufficient quantities, it must be tested for CSF and Beta-2 Transferrin. Other pointers are the 'teapot sign': The rhinorrhea increases on bending forward or straining. Another quick test is to see if the nasal discharge stains, stiffens a soft handkerchief on drying. Mucus from the nose will, but CSF will not. If CSF is suspected, a CT Cisternography will reveal the leak.
2. Is there any history of head injury?
3. Is there any chance of a neglected foreign body?
4. Was the nasal discharge (rhinorrhea) blood stained anytime?
5. Does it ever have a foul smell? DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum) or unilateral Sinusitis can cause such symptoms.
6. Is there any nasal obstruction? Then you must rule out polyps, cysts and unilateral choanal atresia.

Skin jumping usually occurs due to fasciculations which are muscle twitches due to small nerve branches or pulsations of underlying blood vessels. They may be a XXXXXXX of local irritation, however no significance is attached to these. Can other observers see this symptom too?

I strongly recommend a nasal examiation by your local ENT Specialist. For example, some other symptom like headache, post nasal drip may be elicited. The color of the nasal mucosa (inner lining of the nose) may give an indication of the underlying disease process. In allergy, the nasal mucosa will be bluish red, in vasomotor rhinitis it will be dark red. In long standing allergy, it will be pale, almost whitish. In this case a nasal steroid spray along with allegra will help.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.