Ask a Dentist   »  

Root canal,antibiotics,sharp pain in jaw.Nerve damaged?

Root canal and prep for crown done in number 18. Taking antibiotics. Sometimes I feel a sharp pain in my jaw when I pushed my gum where I had the work done or when I try to eat in that side. Can be a nerve was damaged_
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later

It would not be uncommon to have pain in the jaw with pressure along the line of the gum. With any procedure - including a root canal - there can be some post-operative inflammation which occurs. This inflammation causes a mild degree of swelling in the tissues which surround some of the nerves in that area.

When there is pressure on the jaw or tooth or gums in the area affected, this can generate a significant degree of pain which it sounds like you have been experiencing and not due to any nerve damage. Generally this will resolve over a number of weeks to months.

I would recommend you continue the antibiotics and consider taking some ibuprofen to help with some of the inflammation. Try not to press or irritate the gums for the time being and I am confident that your symptoms will gradually improve.

Thank you again for your query. I hope my answer has been both informative and adequate. I am available if you have any additional followups.
Follow-up: Root canal,antibiotics,sharp pain in jaw.Nerve damaged? 57 minutes later
Yes, the root canal was done four weeks ago and at first it didn´t bother me it was after a couple of weeks. Apparently the build up had a crack and my dentist told me that my tissue was probably swollen inside. He thought that preparing the tooth for the crown would help. It´s not a constant pain, but it hurts from time to time, even my ear.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later
Hello again and thanks for the followup.

I am hopeful that your dentist will help you achieve a pain free outcome. Give it some time and we will see how it goes. In the unlikely event that you still hbe troubles - the dentist could consider using an implant.

At this point - remain positive - chew carefully and followup with your dentist as instructed.

Thank you again for the query.

Dr. Galamaga