Ask a Dentist   »  

Roof of the mouth red and white, holes, painful, swollen glands, ear pain, ear infection, sore. Treatment?

Hi I am a 21 year old female and I don't know what is going on with my mouth right now... I hope you can help. The roof of my mouth is red and white with little holes that are not very XXXXXXX but they are very painful it hurts to eat, drink or do anything. I have swollen glands and my ears are hurting a bit too like an ear infection hurts. The other night I had a horrible dream that I was loosing my teeth and they just kept falling right out of my mouth and when I woke up the roof of my mouth was very sore. I thought that maybe it was just my tongue-ring and it felt like a bruise. I took out the tongue-ring so it would not bother it anymore however it still hurts very much even without it. Do you have any ideas of what it might be and if i can treat it at home?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 46 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

According to the symptoms reported by you it seems that you are most probably sufffering from Stomatitis which is an inflammation of the oral cavity and surrounding structures cause by infection,allergy,hot or cold food intake,smoking,doctor about using ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) to minimize throat pain.

Consider visiting a Physician as clinical examination is important and if required throat swab and Blood test would be done to help in diagnosis.

Meanwhile some suggestions for you:
1)Clean the area carefully and maintain oral hygiene.
2)Avoid hard food items as chips,nuts etc.
3)Avoid hot food intake,smoking,alcohol.
4)Take adequate rest.
5)Avoid irritants. Keep your home free from cigarette smoke and cleaning products that can irritate the throat.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.