Ringworm, lotrimin AF, ketoconazole, aloquin gel, microsporum canis

Ringworm :

My 4 children and myself got ringworm 6 weeks ago. We have been using lotrimin AF, Ketoconazole and now added Aloquin gel... My 5 year old son has it on his scalp he took lamisil125 MG for 4 weeks. my dermatologist as of last week increased his dose to 187.5mg per day. They sent a sample from my sons scalp and it came back as Microsporon Canis. I applied the lotion for 3 weeks after all the lesions were gone.. After a week of no lotion the ringworm is returning in the exact spots they were previous. Dr took scraping and looked under microscope....ringworm positive!!!! What do I need to do to get rid of this? Also most importantly I am worried about my son... He has increased Meds a week ago due to his weight being 52 lamisil the correct medicine for Microsporon Canis on scalp? Also what is going to rid this on our body? BTW we got this from a kitten we got for Christimas which I have since given back to the breeder...
Thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 55 minutes later

Tinea capitis is fungal infection of skin caused by dermatophytes like microsporon canis in your cases.

Microsporon canis is zoophilic fungus hence you must have got it from animals like kitten in your case.

Treatment consist of antifungal drugs like ketoconazole, terbinafine, griseofulvin.

Ketoconazole can be used in shampoo and lotion form. Lotion of 2% ketoconazole applied daily at night time can be helpful. Shampoo two times a week is also good option.

Griseofulvin is drug of choice for tinea capitis infection.

Lamisil contains terbinafine which is also effective in tinea capitis.
Drug lamisil may have to be continued for 6 - 8 weeks.

You should continue the treatment for 8 weeks to ensure complete eradication of fungus. Also ketoconazole shampoo should be continued further 4 weeks or so.

Hope I’ve answered your query.