Ringing in ear,tinnitus,ear infection,dizziness

Hi Doctor,

My RIGHT ear is ringing very loudly that I can hear it even with all the traffic outside my house. Its a high pitched ringing sound and it got worse over about two weeks (at first I could barely hear it). It isn't affecting me much right now but I'm scared it could get worse.

Is this tinnitus, ear infection or something else (I'm only 19 years old)? I don't go to loud parties, and only listen to my ipod on one of the lowest volumes except I listen to it a lot (daily).

I also think this started when I woke up in bed feeling dizzy and nauseous but that was about a month ago.
Oh and one more thing. The intensity of the noise changes when I clench my teeth?

What should I do here?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Ringing in the ears is called as Tinnitus and can be due to ear or nose infections, trauma, fluid or wax in ears, respiratory infections etc. Since it has been increasing and is persistent with time it requires a careful evaluation.

It would be better to see an ENT specialist for thorough examination of the ears and prescription of medications if required.

Meanwhile you can follow these suggestions:
1) Reduce caffeine and salt intake.
2) Avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol.
3) Avoid using objects to clean your ears.
4) Take a Zinc supplementation once daily.
5) Do not take any medications as Aspirin as they can increase the ringing sound.
6) Eat fresh Pineapple in the diet as it reduces inflammation if any.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up if any.
Follow-up: Ringing in ear,tinnitus,ear infection,dizziness 1 hour later
Your advice didn't really help me cause I don't have much salt/caffeine intake at all, I dont smoke or drink alcohol, I don't clean my ears with objects, I don't take medication such as aspirin.

It isn't because of listening to my ipod right? Is there anything I can do to tell if its an ear infection? Its only in my right ear so it can't be from listening to too much music?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

It does not seem to be because of listening to music and if any infection present or wax can be detected by observation of the ear canal. Since the pain increases by teeth clenching it can be indicative of even dental infection.

The measures which I have mentioned you is for prevention purpose as they can worsen the condition and any medication without observation can cause more of issues.
Consider visiting a ENT specialist for complete ear examination to rule out the exact cause.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you speedy recovery
Follow-up: Ringing in ear,tinnitus,ear infection,dizziness 10 minutes later
I can't see any wax and if there was any I can't see, how would I clean out the wax?

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Wax deposition is sometimes present inside the ear canal and cannot be seen by naked eye.It can be either dissolved by means of wax dissolving drops or if it is impacted XXXXXXX inside then methods as "Syringing" are to be done.

Take Care.