Right shoulder area is puffed and feeling like flattened marsh under skin. Suggest treatment

I was getting a massage yesterday and the woman noticed that my right shoulder area was puffer than the left. She said it felt like a flattened marshmallow under the skin. I have no pain at all and range of motion is normal. But clearly there is a puffer look to the right side than the left side. The "swelling" is on the upper part of my back/shoulder.....alongside the shoulder blade, but the side of the shoulder blade away from the spine. It's in the area that would be sectioned off by my bra band and the bra strap. I hope you understand....
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mostly harmless, but better investigated

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

Yes ma'am, I do have a vague idea of its location, and I would also like to inform you that our premium service provides the facility of uploading pictures, so if you wish and are comfortable to do the same, you could request a friend, partner or peer to click a picture of the lump and upload it to our conversation.

As for the possible diagnosis, in most cases the location constitutes of harmless cysts or extra growths that are in most cases benign, these grow over a period of time, and are painless and usually do not cause any symptoms other then a sensation when put pressure on. But, I would like to add that, whether this is assumed to be harmless or not, all lumps or puffers are investigated.

This is done with the help of a procedure called a biopsy, where a small sample of the tissue from the affected region is taken and sent to the laboratory, to identify and confirm the diagnosis. Once the diagnosis is made, treatment will accordingly be directed. As mentioned earlier, in most cases it is totally harmless, and treatment is completely left to the individual, whether you do not mind retaining it, or wish it out.

I hope you found my response both helpful and informative ma'am. Please feel free and comfortable to write to me about any further clarifications or information, I am always available to help.

Best wishes.