Right knee pops in movement, had C-section. Why are they sore? Why do they tingle?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I am 25 years old and every time I move my right knee it pops loud enough to hear it. I gave birth to twin boys via cesarean and started trying to run two weeks ago. I ran on Tuesday, then Thursday, and then did a jazzercise class on Friday. I have not ran or anything since because my knees were hurting. They do not hurt constantly but just when I get up but I thought it was because they were just sore. About a week ago though my right knee started popping everytime that I moved. Now each time that I stand/sit or walk up stairs it pops each time. I am not sure if this is normal or something I should get looked at. It is not severe pain but after a few times of popping it starts to tingle a little bit.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 2 hours later

Thanks for writing.

Well, as you know that the most overused part of our body is the knees that have to bend and flex all the day for everyday tasks.

Being the largest and highly used joint in the body, it is prone to develop pain and related symptoms. Knee injuries like - cartilage injuries, arthritis, dislocation, sports related injuries, etc., can lead to knee pain and popping.

There are certain conditions in which one can experience knee pain and popping due to engagement in activities that all the sudden puts much stress and tension on the knees, especially if the use of the knees has been kept stagnant for quite a long time.

Talking especially about a popping knee; it can be caused by any number of ailments including arthritis, tendon pull or torn cartilages. Popping knees is evidence of trigger points causing joint stress. Some popping sounds have serious consequences, while others usually don't.

Well, I want to give you certain tips that will help you out from knee popping and pain:

- Strengthen your knees by strengthening your leg muscles (quadriceps, hamstrings) this will in return increases the stability of your knee joint by adding support.
- Warm-ups - It will lubricate your joints by raising the temperature of your body; ultimately will provide you relief from knee pain and popping
- Improve your hip and ankle mobility
- Massage your trigger points (responsible for popping knee) using a tennis ball. Massage all your leg muscles while you are at it.
- Eat Healthy - for example: Fish Oil helps against inflammation which is linked to joint destruction;
Vegetables & Fruits are full of vitamins, minerals & antioxidants; especially antioxidants (berries) improve connective tissue health.
- Stop doing what hurts your knee

If still you don't get relief and if pain / soreness worsen, you must go to your doctor for better management.

Hope this answers your query. I am available here for future follow ups if any.