Right eye is filled with water. Not blinking for long time. Could this be an early sign of abnormal eyesight?

Recently we are noticing an issue with the right eye of our daughter (2 years). We notice that when she watches laptop (e.g youtube. Not sure about TV -- we don't have any), her right eye gets filled with water. It's so much that often water drips put of her eye! She normally gets to see it during dinner, maximum 2 hours a day. One unusual thing we noticed with her that she does not blink her eye for incredibly long time (about 30 seconds -- I took time reading at least 10 times over last few months as I found it unusual, not sure if it's common to the kids) when she watches laptop. Also she likes to come really close to the laptop though we try to prevent as much as we can. We see no swelling in the right eye, no redness. Weather here in Bhopal is not clod at all, it's very pleasant. Regarding parental eye history: I (father, 32 years) have normal eye sight, her mother (34 years, has power, not sure whether far or short sighted) does wear specks for last 15 years.
Now my question is: what can be the reason for this? Do we need to consult an eye specialist? Can this be it any early sign for abnormal eyesight?

Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be refractive error needs examination

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic
Iam Dr. Dadapeer and I answer problems related to eye and vision

It seems from the history that your daughter gets watering eye on watching laptop and she does not blink her eyes much. She comes really close to laptop.

Coming to your first question, reason for watering?
This is because of dryness caused by watching the laptop from close distance without blinking the eyes as this leads to dryness which in turn causes irritation leads to watering. This may look different but it is true that one common symptom of dryness is watering and this is common in people who use computers/laptops for long time as in software engineers and it is called as computer vision syndrome.
The treatment is avoiding continuous use of laptop, in your case instead of continuous 2 hours you can give laptop in intervals of 30 minutes and see that she blinks her eyes regularly while using computer.

Coming to second question, can this be an early symptom of abnormal eye sight?
The vision in children is usually low when compared to adults and the vision equal to adults is reached by 4-5 years of age. But since mother is having refractive error it is better to consult eye specialist once to get her vision checked as she is getting very close to laptop.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you