Retching, urge in rectum, stressed, rash outside anal opening, nausea, hemorrhoids, diverticulitis, CT scan. Treatment?

Question
Every morning very early I have an urge in my rectum for a bowel movement. I go, then right after i begin to feel nervous and nauseous to some degree. Makes me think i am under stress. Immediately afterwards, i may have loud dry heaving (retching) but not actual vomiting of stomach contents. This happens 4 days per week now for a while. I also have one or more bowel movements one or more times during the day. My doctor had examined me and found both XXXXXXX and external hemorrhoids. a ct scan of the addomen and pelvis found diverticulosis also. And a fatty liver. Could this condition in my lower colon be causing the nauseous feeling? It is very tender in the anal area at times, as well as a burnng feeling mid back, and i get a rash in the skin outside the anal opening. Any ideas how to treat this? its very disturbing to wake up with this! I've been trying some acid pills but hasn't helped!
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

1. Whether diverticulosis causes nausea ?
Yes. As this condition affects the intestinal epithelium it interferes with the normal digestion and transit. So, constipation is caused and this indirectly reverses bowel upwards causing nausea.

2. How to treat haemorrhoids ?
Conservative medical management and surgical, depending on the extent and clinical status.

3. How to treat the rash on anal skin?
Rash can be treated conservatively. Keep the area dry and clean. If it persists beyond a period and if your lifestyle is affected severely, you can discuss with the surgeon/Dermatologist.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me. I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Regards.

Follow-up: Retching, urge in rectum, stressed, rash outside anal opening, nausea, hemorrhoids, diverticulitis, CT scan. Treatment? 36 minutes later
yes it seems that the bowel movement initiates the nausea.

Since i haven't eaten all night, i just dry retch when the nausea starts. i also have the urge for more bowel movements as i dry heave.

Diverticulosis is inflammation? how is this treated?

What i need to do is calm this reflex. what do you suggest that i do to avoid this morning attack? Any medications? suggestions?

Hello.

Thanks for writing back.

Diverticulosis is formation of pouches in the lining of the large intestinal epithelium, due to the weakened areas. It is common as one gets older.

It is usually treated conservatively, by a high fiber diet. In acute attack, might need hospitalization for treatment with antibiotics etc.

Regarding your morning retching, foods XXXXXXX in fiber will help you. You can try liquid based diet for some days. Avoid carbohydrates after evening hours.

If retching does not subside even then, perhaps you would need some prescription medicines from your doctor.

I hope, I have answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Retching, urge in rectum, stressed, rash outside anal opening, nausea, hemorrhoids, diverticulitis, CT scan. Treatment? 21 hours later
This only occurs between 6 am -11 am

in the afternoon and evening, no symptoms.. nothing either when i am sleeping.

what does it mean -- the pattern of just a few hours every day?

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 4 hours later
Thanks for reply.

About the pattern of the timing of your retching - it is not a very grave issue. Because, morning hours is when your stomach is empty and so is your small intestine, with the contents of food digested during the day having traveled as far as the large intestine. Now, the empty gut produces juices which cause a nauseating feeling because of the reverse peristalsis that occurs.

You will understand this better if you know how our gut works normally.

And this morning pattern has no place in the prognosis of your diverticulosis condition, and is symptom in itself, that is it.

Thanks,