Reports shows Hepatomegaly with grade 2 fatty liver. Can I still take alcohol?

Gastroenterologist
Question
HI i m 34 m in my u. s. report i have HEPATOMEGALY WITH GRADE 2 FATTY LIVER . I m occasionly take alchol XXXXXXX 90ml XXXXXXX 4 times in a month what i have to do to fit my self i m not doing any exercise my weight is 78 h 5.3 can i still take alchol twice in a month
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No you should not drink alcohol more

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Your fatty liver is due to two causes Alcohol and obesity. Fatty liver is initial stage of alcohol related disease and it may progress to cirrhosis. Also no limit is defined for amount of alcohol that is safe. So continuing alcohol at this stage in any amount is not advisable. Also you must do regular exercise brisk walk at least 30 minutes per day. Get lipid profile and SGOT and SGPT if not already done, if abnormal they will require treatment. Also take low fat and high protein diet (Veg- Pulses, soyabean and cheese), if non veg also take white part of egg

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon

Follow-up: Reports shows Hepatomegaly with grade 2 fatty liver. Can I still take alcohol? 3 hours later
After medicine and all this thing when I have go for ultrasound again and which food and friut is better 4 m3

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat ultrasound after 3 months

Detailed Answer:
I usually advise ultrasound after 3 months in my patients. All fruits and vegetables are good, avoid only fatty diet and take high protein as I advised earlier.