Reports show MPV 11.6. What should I do?

my MPV hAS been 12 in october and 11.6 in Dec...i have never noticed before if the number was out of range....What to do ? thank you.
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is in normal range. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thanks for query. MPV is mean platelet volume. The average normal range for MPV is 7.5-11.5 fL. It may vary up to 12.5 fL. You have normal MPV. You can compare this value with your platelet count. If both of them are in normal range then you need not worry at all. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.
Follow-up: Reports show MPV 11.6. What should I do? 20 minutes later
thank you for your response....i am wondering though,does a higher result for MPV even within the range but towards the highest number put onei personally although 70 years old do NOT take aspirin or any other anti at risk for stroke and heart attacks,being that I realize the bigger the platelets the more possibility there is of clumping..i,although 70 years old,do not take aspirin or other anti clotting agents..
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Check for secondary causes of thrombocytosis. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thanks for reply.I really appreciate your awareness about health. Such type of thrombocytosis may be secondary to underlying chronic inflammation,mild anaemia,surgery ,etc. As per my opinion it should be secondary thrombocytosis rather than primary thrombocytosis. Secondary thrombocytosis has less chances of thrombosis than primary.Hence you do not need anti platelet drugs. If you have previous thrombotic episode or heart attack then you will need long term anti platelet drugs. Hope this answers your query. Wishing you good health.