Renal failure, dialysis, diabetic, taking Actrapid insulin. Goat paya nutritious?

my father is 70 years old has both renal failure and on dialysis.He is losing health fast.At present his health is 50Kg.He is diabetic patient and takes 04 units of actrapid insulin in morning and evening.Whether goat paya will provide energy .Kindly suggest the nutrition to be provided to father.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later
I presume that the renal failure he is having is due to the uncontrolled diabetes. Right now till his diabetes is under control and his kidneys recover, he is unlikely to gain any weight. Uncontrolled diabetes and drugs used to control it are one of the major factors causing a weight loss.
Giving him a high protein diet like goat paya will only increase the blood urea levels further increasing the frequency of dialysis. It is better to concentrate on stopping any further weight loss rather than expecting an increase.
Regarding the diet, a low protein and low carbohydrate, soft and easy to digest food is preferable for him. Give him plenty of fluids orally.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.