Removed gallbladder, headaches, pain in neck, shoulder and hip, wheezing. What is the cause, remedy?

I was in a car accident July of last year. I've been getting chiropractic care since then. Had my gallbladder removed in September. In November I began getting multiple shots (25-30 a visit) of predisone and lidocane twice a week for pain & headaches in my head, neck, shoulder and hip. Around January I began to notice I was getting shorter and shorter of breath. Just a small amount of exercise, such as walking a 1000ft, leaves me breathless, shaking and light headed, singing a single song can leave me out of breath when I used to sing 4 to 5 songs in a row. I'm a 45 year old male, smoke a pack a day and since the accident live a sedentary life due to pain. Oh, I've also noticed I now have a wheeze when I exhale, cough up phlem that seems like a clear sticky gel and my head feels "full??" Any thought on what might be wrong and the cause?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 7 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:
1. Your symptoms of shortness of breath point towards an etiology of obstructive airway disease.
2. You need to first and foremost quit smoking. Seek professional help regarding this if required.
3. You need to get yourself examined and evaluated by a Pulmonologist.
4. The investigations that are required in your case are Chest xray, ct scan thorax, Pulmonary function test, Serum IgE levels, blood counts, sputum examination.
5. May be you will need inhalers and certain oral drugs (bronchodilators class of drugs).
5. Wheeze and phlegm could be due to recurrent respiratory infections in the obstructive airway disease.
6. You can get your allergy testing done for your concerns regarding the allergy and avoid the known allergy triggers in your case.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra