Removal of gall bladder done. Having pain in ribs. What are the risks in undergoing Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography ?

Question
Hi, my mom had her gall bladder removed years ago. She just started having very mild pain by her ribs underneath the breasts. She went in and did an MRI and doc told her she needed to do an ERCP. She just had one done and they said they couldn't get in and now she needs to reschedule so they can do surgery. They said they took a biopsy and will need to XXXXXXX with her gastroenterologist next week. They may need to make a hole and go in that way to clear the blockage. Is this a very XXXXXXX surgery and should she seek 2nd opinion? I am very worried for her as I've been reading all the risk with ERCP and now surgery. Please help ease my mind. Thank You
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
Hello;

I hope I can help answer your questions.

It sound like either way she needs to have this resolved. Anytime someone has surgery either regular or endoscopically like an ERCP (Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography)it can be XXXXXXX If they can resolve the issue endoscopically or Laparoscopically i.e., via a camera that's the best way to go. If you and you mother have concerns...it never hurts to get a second opinion.

All said, overall it's not a very XXXXXXX surgery.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Follow-up: Removal of gall bladder done. Having pain in ribs. What are the risks in undergoing Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography ? 25 minutes later
I guess I am not understanding what the doctor means when he said he couldn't get in due to the blockage when he told my mom in the office that she has a "mild" blockage and very minor. If she doesn't take care of it now, it could get worse and lead to surgery so while it's small, let's resolve it. So how come he went in and said it's too blocked to do anything and need surgery? Story doesn't make sense and doesn't add up.
I thought that's what an ERCP is? Endoscopically? Why couldn't he treat it while he was in there. I don't understand why surgery is necessary.
Thank You

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 13 hours later
Sometimes things are worse that initially suspected when they actually get in there and try to fix things. That may be the case with your mother. It sounds like they thought they could clear the blockage via an ERCP...but they couldn't. YOur options are...second opinion with a doctor that does ERCP's....or go for the laparoscopic surgery.

If you live near a major University....many times they have newer procedures..and tools that can get the job done...when a private doctor could not. It's just a thought.

Good luck to your mother. I hope this has helped.

Follow-up: Removal of gall bladder done. Having pain in ribs. What are the risks in undergoing Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography ? 2 hours later
Thank you for your response. Is this something that is considered minor surgery or is it pretty serious? She's not in that much pain so is it ok to wait and get a 2nd opinion or is this something that needs to be done asap?

Laparoscopic is when they poke a hole and go in through a camera? Is that a safe procedure and outpatient or will require hospital stay?

Thank you so much. Just trying to put my mind at ease. thanks again

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

Laparoscopic is considered minor and many times it's outpatient.

You are welcome. I hope this has helped.