Remedy for bites, red welts, and numbness on thigh?

My upper outer thigh appears to have bites on it and then an area that is like a red welt. It has also felt numb for over a week now.
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: detail follows Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to healthcaremagic. I have read your query and understood your concern. As per details, it can be one of the following: 1) herpes zoster : characterised by fluid filled lesions along a dermatome not crossing the midline. But the lesions are rather painful or associated with burning sensation. 2) insect bite : characterised by sudden red eruption which later gets crusted. I will be able to tell you better if you can attach a pic of the lesions. How long the lesions are there ? How did they start ? Kindly attach a pic of the lesion and answer my questions so that I can help you further. Thank you.
Follow-up: Remedy for bites, red welts, and numbness on thigh? 1 hour later
The lesions started off small, like bites, but have changed, some connected, some separate like bug bites. I don't know how they started and they have been around for about 2 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 9 hours later
Brief Answer: herpes zoster Detailed Answer: Hello dear Thanks for the picture. It seems more like herpes zoster to me. I would start you on antiviral like acyclovir if it has occurred within within 24-48 hours of the formation of new lesions. Your dermatologist / general physician will know about this medicine; hence do visit them at the earliest. If a doctor visit is not feasible sooner, you can apply topical antibiotics like mupirocin 2 percent twice daily over the lesions. Numbness can be taken care of with tablets containing gabapentin and vitamin B 12. You can ask for these when you visit the doctor. If you have further query you may ask me. Else kindly close the discussion and rate it. thanx