Ask a Dentist   »  

Regular treadmill use. Does it cause joint problems, is running or jogging better, advise for weight loss?

Spine Surgeon
I use treadmill regularly and keep hearing that it can cause joint problems. I want to know if it is better to run/jog outside instead of treadmill? also outside what is better hard surface like concrete road or a ground? I am trying to reduce weight and also be in shape and keep fit.

I have uploaded couple of snaps of swelling that I get on my lower leg after exercise..particularly after running. Can you elaborate on what is this and what is the cause? Is there a reason to worry and any suggested treatment
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 3 hours later
thank you for your query.
I notice that you are a good runner.
It does not really matter whether you run indoor or outdoor 15-20km / week.
You need to have good pair of running shoes especially when you run outdoor.
For long distances it is preferable to run on ground than concrete.
I can't find the pictures that you had uploaded.So please reupload.
I hope I had been of help to you
Follow-up: Regular treadmill use. Does it cause joint problems, is running or jogging better, advise for weight loss? 15 hours later
Thanks Dr. for your response.

I have uploaded the snaps again. I notice that the swelling remains little bit at all times and increased during running or exercise.
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 8 hours later
Thank you for uploading the snaps.
There are different possibilities like fat swelling called lipoma or blood vessel swelling haemangioma or muscle herniation.
So I suggest that you get yourelf seen by a surgeon, so that a final diagnosis could be made.