Regular sufferer of migraine. Was taking vasograine, which is not recommended. Any alternate medicine?

Nov 2013

Hello doctor, I used to be a regular sufferer of migraine ( atleast twice a month). But I had taken on to pranayama breathing and almost reduced it to less than 6 months once. But I do get occasional migraine that lasts for 3 to 4 hours. I hear that vasograine is no,longer recommended but I don't know of any alternate medication. Can you advise me ?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 29 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

It is good to note that you have improved with pranayama breathing.

Occasional migraines require only symptomatic treatment. Vasograin is still recommended and is commonly used. However, if you have any adverse effects with vasograin, the alternatives include RIZATRIPTAN 10 mg or SUMATRIPTAN 50 mg tablets or ZOLMITRIPTAN nasal spray.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: