Ask a Urologist   »  

Regular masturbation. Suddenly erection failed. Why is the sperm watery?

Question
hello, I am 22years old male, i always masturbate 2 to 3 times a week, i have always had a good erection, all the time, very hard ones, suddenly for past 3 weeks, my erection is not very hard and goes down quickly, once after masturbating impossible to get erection for few hours, earlier i used to get it in10mins. Mild smoker..On and off..rare drinker... what could be the problem..? my sperm has also becum very watery. Never had sex.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

An erection problem is the inability to get or maintain an erection that is firm enough for a man to have intercourse. If the condition persists, the medical term is erectile dysfunction. From your history, smoking is an important cause which can cause erectile dysfunction.

Cut down on smoking and gradually decrease the number of cigarettes smoked per day. Also do not drink any alcohol at all since alcohol consumption has also been found to be related to erectile dysfunction.

Not having any erection after ejaculation is a normal phenomenon. The time taken to lose erection after ejaculation depends on individual to individual. Some males have erection even for 30 minutes after ejaculation. The purpose of an erection is to allow for penetration and ejaculation. Once the erection has served that purpose, there is no reason for it to continue. Also, typically after ejaculation or orgasm, sexual arousal wanes. As that arousal goes down, so does an erection.

Before deciding the treatment it is important to find out the cause which may be responsible for erectile dysfunction in your case. In most men of your age and since you were having regular erections earlier, the cause looks more like psychological.

Other medical causes may be diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, low testosterone, depression, spinal cord and neurological causes.

If you are experiencing negative emotions/thoughts related to the frequency of masturbation, masturbating less often may solve the problem.

However to exactly pinpoint a diagnosis you need to get a complete examination done from a urologist and get your blood pressure, blood sugar levels, thyroid hormones, testosterone levels and a neurological examination of the testicles and penis done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.