Reduction in the semen volume. Taking beta blocker and statin. Is it due to medication?

Question
i am a male 55 years of age. at present on beta blocker(nebi-h) and statin. my volume of sperm has dropped drastically. though theres no problems with erection. i am on these medicines for last 2 years. what should i take to increase the volume of semen.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Idris Shariff 1 hour later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

I would like to let you know that the above mentioned drugs are not known to cause any reduction in volume of semen as such, but yes, other forms of sexual dysfunction can occur with their usage.

The reduction in volume of semen could also be due to advancing age.

If you have any other symptoms along with this, then feel free to discuss it with me. I would also suggest you to see your treating doctor and discuss it with him and may be review your drugs again.

Hope, I have answered your query satisfactorily. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Reduction in the semen volume. Taking beta blocker and statin. Is it due to medication? 1 hour later
i have no other problems. i think you have not gone thru my question well. i need to know exactly what should i take to increase the volume of semen, the answer that you have given can be given by any educated person with a little bit of medical knowledge. i am not satisfied with the answer at all. and i feel my consultation charges have gone wasted. sorry doc, but i am very XXXXXXX about my views.

Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thanks for your response...!!

I am sorry there is no such particular thing which you could take to increase the volume of semen.

I will try to rephrase and elaborate myself to make things more clear for your benefit.

As I mentioned earlier Beta blockers do cause some sexual dysfunction and very rarely could result in "Retrograde ejaculation", which could be the cause of your diminished volume.

So please discuss this with your treating doctor and allow him to review and maybe change your medications once he examines you.

Wishing you the best of health.

Best Regards,