Red,itchy rash on upper legs while exercising

Female, 24, 158cm tall, 60kg.

Hi, when I go walking I sometimes get an extremely itchy rash on my upper legs, (particularly bad on inner thigh). It puts me off exercising so I would like to know if I can stop it. It is warm to touch. It appears about 1/3 of the way into my 45min walk and continues until I stop. The "rash" is just redness that is mostly evenly spread. It is not raised.

Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. From your symptoms an important possibility is of Exercise induced Urticaria. It is appearance of hives or urticarial rash which may be raised or flat bumps on the skin after a person starts exercising. They can occur on any part of the body.

Most symptoms can be controlled by taking antihistaminics which your doctor can prescribe. Application of calamine lotion on the rash also helps in soothing the skin. Slow down or stop your exercise as soon as symptoms start. Get home and rub ice pack over the area relieves the itch soon. In some people it was found that eating certain foods before exercise may make allergic symptoms more likely to occur. Keep track of what you eat before exercising. If you notice appearance of rashes after eating some particular food stuffs before exercising then stop eating it for a while and see if the symptoms improve.

If symptoms are severe then you may need steroids which are used under a medical supervision and for this, I would suggest you to consult a dermatologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.