Reddish layer of skin around burn, itching, pains to remove bandage. Applying Silverex nitrate cream. Wound healing?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I got a burn in my right leg due to the bike silencer.. its been 15 days now... i cover it whn i go to work with silverex nitrate cream .... ANd whn i m at home .. i jus apply the same ointment and leave it open to air....Now i see a reddish / pink layer of skin formed... I also have an itching feeling around the wound. It pains when i remove the bandage from the wound after i reach home. I keep it open for some time then i apply the ointment and go to sleep..

Do u think my wound is healing or shd i do something else ?
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
From your description it seems that your wound is healing well.
The reddish pink layer of skin is a positive sign.
The pain while removing the bandage is expected as in such superficial burns, the nerve endings are exposed causing the pain. You can continue with open dressing with silver nitrate and watch for any oozing - purulent or induration around the area in which case systemic antibiotics may be needed.
Your wound is likely to be alright in next 2-3 weeks.
Do not touch the area frequently to avoid any infection.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.