Reddish itchy rash like bumps on the legs. Clear discharge on scratching. Cure?

For several months now I have had small red rash like bumps on both of my legs , in the same area, that flame up at the same time. They itch very badly and when I scratch them you will see a tiny bit of clear discharge. Then it will scab over and turn into a tiny white scar that will eventually flare up again into tiny red rash. The rash is right below both knees and sometimes flares up right above the knee. Both sides will flare up at the same time. Ice will help it more than anything.
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 5 hours later

The typical description of your symptoms points towards Tinea infection, most probably Tinea Corporis.

However, I would like to a look at the lesions. Is it possible for you to upload a picture of the lesion?

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Extensive itching and flaring up of lesions are typical of fungal infections like Tinea.

Please check if you came in close contact with infected humans, animals, or inanimate objects. Did you do gardening recently or any other recreational activities?

A special type of Tinea also occurs in females who shave their legs.

There are other causes for the same too, but I wish to see the picture of the lesion before suggesting any further.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Reddish itchy rash like bumps on the legs. Clear discharge on scratching. Cure? 17 hours later
I have tried several times to upload a picture with no success. I know what ringworm looks like and this is not it. The the red bumps are very small and spread out in an 3 to 6 inch area. No pattern at all. I don't have a picture of the flare up just the after math, tiny white smooth scars that look like my skin has lost its pigment. It stared the day after I returned from Wyoming. I live in Tennessee. I had laser hair removal but I still have to shave certain spots on my legs. Waste of money. Can you help me figure out how to get this photo sent.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 9 hours later

I am sorry I could not convince you with my explanation during our last conversation. Let me try today.

If you are not able to use the feature on this query page that is available to upload the images, I have a simpler option for you.

You may mail me the picture at YYYY@YYYY with subject as "attention to Dr. Shanthi".

Tinea is one of the most common possibilities if we are to go by your symptoms. However, there are many other possibilities too.

Few of them are:

1. Atopic Dermatitis

2. Erythema Multiforme

3. Impetigo

4. Pityriasis Rosea

Please try sending me the picture on mail. Also, please add any other details that you think are relevant here. I will wait for your response.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Reddish itchy rash like bumps on the legs. Clear discharge on scratching. Cure? 23 hours later
I have sent my picture
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 7 hours later

Thanks for uploading the picture. I have taken an in-depth look at it.

There are very tiny macules that are present with ill defined margins. They are whitish in colour and are very itchy (as you say).

The only other possibility I can think of in addition now is Isolated Vitiligo.

Please get a wood's lamp examination of the skin lesion done or a biopsy of the lesion to confirm the cause. You may consult a Dermatologist for the same.

Before everything, I suggest you to try a course of topical anti-fungal ointment with a mild steroid base like Clotrimazole and betamethasone combination for 2 weeks. The ointment is available over the counter.

I have tried my best to help you.

I wish you speedy recovery.