Reddish flakes in stool. Due to change in diet or hemorrhoids?

General Surgeon
I noticed a few little red flakes in my stool. I ate chili for several days and am wondering if it could be from the pepper flakes that are not be digested? It is not loose blood because they are little specks put together like a pepper flake (which I am wondering if that is like corn in the digestion process). I have a hemorrhoid right now, but this is in my stool and not streaky.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 9 hours later

Based on your description, the red flakes that you see are most likely undigested food particles passed in stool.

If you have any confusion upon flushing if the red flakes do not dissolve in water, then they are usually undigested pepper flakes. Blood particles would dissolve in water but chilli flakes will remain as such.

Hope I have provided you with sufficient information and addressed your concern. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Wish you good health.